Spotlight: Shava Jay

Monday, January 17, 2011

By The Music Scoop
JR Staff Writer

All around the world, there are new music movements. One of the biggest movements is coming out of Baton Rogue, Louisiana and it is not just rap music. There is also a major R&B scene coming from Louisiana's capital city.

Shava Jay has an all around new style. She is coming from a crowded city and a crowded R&B scene. Shava Jay has a strong following and she is ready to take it to the next level. In a few years, she will be a star in the game.

Recently, JR, The Black Entertainment Guide caught up with Shava Jay for an exclusive interview.

How long have you been recording music?

I started recording at the age of 14 so for about 12 years. I released my first complete underground CD "pen, paper & lyrics" in 2007 people can view it at www.shavajay.bandcamp.com this was the first complete project. This project was a collection of emotions that a 20 year old girl was experiencing

What was your first time on stage like?
The first time i performed I was in Undergrad at Wilberforce University in the gospel choir i had a solo I was always singing and recording but I had never done a show but while in undergrad i began taking advantage of every opportunity.

What kind of obstacles have you gone through to get where you are at?
I have an educational background, I've been in school since the age of three. I just got my Masters. Trying to balance school and the fact that I wanted to do music became an obstical. I would be writing songs and writing papers, having performances and presentations. School wasn't the obstical it was trying to balance the two.

If you had to offer advice to a young person about following in your footsteps, what would you tell them?
Always believe in yourself, Growing up I was always taught to have faith. But i didn't fully understand it until I was much older. When I realized that my thoughts became actions things became much easier for me. Study your craft and not just the art itself but also educate yourself on business. Seperate your self from the average person doing what you are doing. Don't get in your own way have fun enjoy it!! BELIEVE BELIEVE BELIEVE!!

How do you feel being a part of a rather crowded movement trying to break into the game?
I feel good about it, I mean everyday people are looking for something new. Someone to come up with something that makes them feel good! I don't view it as being croweded i think people just want to share.. It's enough people in the world for somebody to feel what your doing. I know it sounds cliche but if only one person feels me or I make one person say "damn that song touched me" I kno I've done something

In a game dominated by the Keyshia Cole's and Jazmine Sullivans, how do you plan to make yourself stand out?
For started nobody has a story like mine and I plan to tell that story to draw people in. I have a different sound and a soft but soulful voice. I have to keep working, keep writing And keep doing features. I'm already different than thoes artist I just have get in the game and show the world!

Are you currently signed to a label?
I'm not signed to a major label.

Do you currently have a new project out or have one coming soon?
As of lately I've been doing lots of features for up an comming artist... I got lots of exposure from working with Jon Connor Flint Michigans next big MC. I am working on a project right now and doing more features. Stay tuned and follow @Shavajay on Twitter just to get a glimpse of what I'm up too and who I'm in the studio with!

What artists are you currently working with?
Mostly artist from Flint, Michigan I've done features for hip-hop artist And just recently did some work with artist in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

What producers are you currently working with?
I have been blessed to work with some of thee BEST up and comming producers, which include A.P. (Michigan) who produced for VH1 number one show Scream Queens, B. Corder, (Michigan) produced for Tradark and Curency Bengi, who is also a well known producer from Flint Rio da Gost, China Boy, El Polo, Vision from Atlanta, Mike Chav, Erykah Badu's recording engineer. Ron Allen from Toronto. So many I love to network!

Are you working with any big names?
Not working with any big names, only the big producers! I have a pretty good team of people! I'd like to work with Jazmine Sulivan! Our birthday is on the same day I bet our energy would be mad crazy in the studio!

Do you feel as if you need big names to help you break in the game?
Working with a big name could open up a few doors and pretty soon I'll be writing for some big names, but until then I think I can make what I got going on will bring the big names to me.

What do you think fans like about you the most?
LOL I think my fans love the fact that I am extreamly personable. My personality is dope and I have character. My music is real a lot of people can relate to it young and old. I can be a bit random but then again most artist are but fans love that. My fans appreciate the fact that I'm not afraid to speak about the real in my music.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© 2011 TBT Entertainment Group.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP